We deliver the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum through a balance of adult led and child-initiated activities. We provide opportunity, resources and support for children to learn at the highest level through their play. Children engage in active learning which involves other people, objects, ideas and events that involve them for sustained periods of time. The environment supports every child’s learning through planned experiences and activities that are challenging but achievable. We offer warm trusting relationships with knowledgeable adults to support children’s learning.
Through our work with our children and their families we demonstrate the four 'Principles of the Early Years Foundation Stage' which are
- Every child is a competent learner from birth who can be resilient, capable and self assured.
- Children learn to be strong and independent from a base of loving and secure relationships with parents and/or a key person.
- The environment plays a key role in supporting and extending children’s development and learning.
- The emotional environment, indoors and outdoors.
- Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates and all areas of learning and development are equally important and inter-connected.
Areas of Learning and Development Aspect Prime Areas of Learning Personal, Social and Emotional Development
Self- confidence and self –awarenessManaging feelings and behaviour
Moving and Handling
Health and Self-care
Communication and Language
Listening and Attention
Specific Areas of Learning Mathematics
Shape, Space and Measures
Understanding the World
People and Communities
Expressive Arts and Design
Exploring and Using Media and Materials
We also take into account how children learn and plan for this too. This is known as the characteristics of effective learning.
|Characteristics of Effective Learning||
|Playing and Exploring - Engagement||
Finding out and exploring
Playing with what they know
Being willing to ‘have a go’
|Active Learning - Motivation||
Being involved and concentrating
Enjoying achieving what they set out to do
|Creating and Thinking Critically - Thinking||
Having their own ideas
Making linksChoosing ways to do things